Happy reading:)

Wednesday 18 June 2014

calling amongst money.

Hello friends & blog readers.

My first thought that has been in my mind the last few weeks is money. sounds silly hey? But when you live in todays culture, you can understand. I think to all extremes... how little I can end up or seem to be earning, where my money goes, what I need with my money, where I should put my money, what my money can get me, how much my money can get me, and how much I can satisfy myself with the money I have. We are all selfish when it comes to money. And honestly- how ridiculous is it? How our world revolves around it, and how we have to have it, in order to survive. Most people love money, I have to admit- I do love it. Only because it can get me things, and keep me in a balanced place. But I also have this hate for it- you could understand. How much more money we tend to want, when we actually have more or need more. It's un deniable. This world revolves around money. And it's annoying as heck.

I'm okay to admit- I have recently found myself having less of it, with bills having to be payed, and the amount of work I wasn't getting was kicking my bank account in the butt.Im sure some of you can relate. Going from working 4 days a week, to working only one shift a week was hard. But I know God provides. He always does!100% if you trust in Him!

  Before you get to antsy about reading this (cause it's such a tough and touchy subject for some) You may disagree and agree, who knows. But know that I mean no harm done.

So I  was earning less, and I was trying to spend less. But things add up and  in this world you need things, like toiletries, food, petrol, things like birthday presents and pay bills, and car rego. (Not so fun for all those Part time workers). Some of us are lucky, some work full time, and some of us are either studying or in between jobs. Weather we like it or not- we all need money to live and get by in our culture. Our economy is like a constant vacuum cleaner.

A story about how God provides in ways we may not expect ...
Summer 2012 was coming up,  the job I had was at a café 4 days a week. It was good to be earning a decent amount. Soon the café was slowing- so sooner then later they we cutting every one's shifts, which lead to having no shifts at all. I only had a few photography jobs coming up over summer. Which I could maybe scrape through... if I kept to a tight budget.
Next thing I knew- my camera broke- my only income for the next 2 months.
I didn't know what to do, I prayed, and trusted that God would provide (well tried to). I got my small group (at the time) to pray and all I could do was worry and wait. I was lucky my camera had one month left of warranty- so I sent it off to be fixed. Though they said it could take up to 2 months to be fixed. Of course, I panicked. But it wasn't the end of the world. God had bigger things planned...
the start of December I went away on a young adults camp with church. Of course I stayed with my small group. My awesome small group.
At the end of the amazing weekend, my small group got together and gave me 600 dollars they had all put in together. WOW- what a blessings, that was the most money I have ever been given. And at a point where I had nothing- some how I had everything. I had the Love of Jesus... and 600 dollars haha
It couldn't get me close to a camera, but it was a start- and I am so very thankful to this day to them all! So knowing that it couldn't get me a camera, I decided it was going to be put towards it of course. So I put it away. About a week later an old friend who was a photographer wrote a post saying how she was selling an old 5D camera and that if you were interested- to message her.. Expecting the price to be around 1,500 dollars- I thought Id just ask..
She got back to me within the minute saying that she was selling it for 600 dollars.
WHAT!?
I was mind blown- but at the same time- why should I be?
That week- I picked up my camera, and I was able to do my photography jobs over summer. God provided in ways I never would of thought. At the same time, the people in my small group were encouraged. And I was grateful. I have no doubt that God provides. It's just in ways we least expect.

Some of you may be thinking- But I don't have a small group, or people who will just hand me money? You know what- I didn't think I did, until it happened. Yes I was fortunate and very lucky, it was Gods way of providing forme. But it doesn't mean He doesn't have a way of providing for you.

I have seen God do some amazing things in my bank account, with my work and wherever he leads me. I can get down to the last dollar in my account, and I will still have faith that God will provide- He always does.
And yes I'm not saying that we have to work hard for our money- sometimes we have to work really hard for our money- but that being said I am also certain that God will be a constant support and provider if you let him.

It says in the bible- Money is basically the only thing we can really test God with.
Malachi 3:10-12
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! 11 Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease.[a] Your grapes will not fall from the vine before they are ripe,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. 12 “Then all nations will call you blessed, for your land will be such a delight,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
 
I believe God doesn't want our life to revolve around money- HE wants us to give our finances to Him. This doesn't mean physically handing our money over to the church, it means living a life full of Christ and not relying on money to be your constant saviour. Because we all know- no matter how many new things we buy- we are always going to be wanting something... New.

Although our life will always involve money, it doesn't have to revolve around it.

Now working two jobs, one of which I really don't like- I need to save, I need to live- so sometimes we have to put up with a little hard work, and a little tough love in order to earn a living. Honestly- money is the only reason why I am there.  But it can only go up. Instead of complaining, I should just change my perspective. I guess we all don't like working, some of us do- for example I LOVE doing photography, and one day I do hope I can do that full time, but for now, I'm still working my way up- so I have to keep going with the now, so I can have the later... And I have noticed God defiantly places you somewhere for a reason. Although I hate my job, I have found that giving my day to God changes my heart. Instead of going there with a mind set of " lets just get through this day" I got there with the mind set of "Lets grow the kingdom". I have seen a radical change in my relationships and my attitude towards work.
There is a lady- Inette. She is 75, (though she doesn't even look close to it) still working a few hours a day in this café I am at. Although some people aren't the nicest at work, and she and I get a few negative words. Inette and I like each other. Since our little "You're nice so I like you" bonding sesh, I have found out a few things about her.
She is from Holland, one of 10 kids. She is one of only two left out of her siblings, she lost 8 of them to lung cancer because they all smoked. She didn't. She goes to church every Sunday, and she has a carer that comes and does physio with her every week. She loves working still. ( I think it keeps her moving and going) she has a really nice smile. And we like each other. Why? well, because we are nice haha
Inette lost her husband of 43 years a month ago. She told me, and I wanted to cry.
There is another lady at work, she can be lovely, but in some cases I guess she chooses not to be. She is obviously broken ( as we all are), she doesn't have the patients for Inette, maybe because Inette is a little old, and likes to talk about her life. But considering she has no one to talk to anymore- of course she want to come to work and talk- or want a friend. Not even that- she probably just wants someone to listen to. And Im happy to listen. I like Inette.

I guess my point is- it doesn't matter where you are, I have realised over and over again, is that your calling is bigger then the money you earn at your job, or the worldly reason why you are there. Our calling is for relationship. Not just to love other people, but to have a constant relationship with Christ. To grow his kingdom and share the love He has for me, with as many people as possible. I may not want to be at this job, but there is a season for everything. So right now- I am giving all my seasons to God, because His hand and feet work far beyond mine. And His calling, is bigger then my own.
Instead of focusing on the way I can be impacted, I have to think of the ways I can impact others in the setting I am in. And be thankful that even though I may not like something, that God can change my heart. He can change yours too. If you let him! In the end, we cant take our bank accounts of material things when we die, but we can grow His kingdom, and continue in His love story.

1 comment: